A crunchy plant-based snack!
Lentils tend to be used mostly in savoury recipes. But in this recipe Clean Treats is reinventing them to make some tasty sweet balls.
It's vegan, nut free and comes with a great gluten free option to suit everyone's tastes and dietary requirements.
So if you need a high protein, high healthy fats snack to get you through the afternoons, give this recipe a try!
- 1 scoop (30g) Bulk Nutrients Earth Protein in Vanilla or Salted Caramel
- 2/3 cup dry green lentils
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coconut flour
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 45g quick oats – you can swap for buckinis, chopped cashews or a gluten free oat alternative
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut – shredded
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 60g dark chocolate chips – plus extra for coating/dipping. Vegan chocolate can be used to make this recipe 100% vegan.
- 2 tablespoons coconut or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon no added sugar maple syrup
- Rinse lentils and transfer them to a small saucepan. Cover with two cups of water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain lentils and transfer to a small mixing bowl. Stir in the ½ tablespoon of coconut oil to coat lentils. Sprinkle with coconut sugar, cinnamon, coconut flour, sea salt and stir well.
- Spread lentils evenly on to lined tray and bake for 15 minutes, stirring halfway. Keep an eye on them to ensure they don’t burn. When cooked, set lentils aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, mix together oats, Earth Protein, seeds, shredded coconut and chocolate chips. Add in crispy lentils, remaining melted coconut oil, milk and maple syrup.
- You may need to let the mix cool a bit if the coconut oil is too warm as it will not hold.
- When workable consistency, roll into bite-sized balls.
- Best stored in the fridge for up to one week.