We've put a high protein spin on a winter classic
Are you a big dessert fan? We sure are at Bulk HQ!
Come winter time one of our all-time favourites is the classic Apple Crumble. This treat, however, tends to be high carb, high fat and low protein.
So we've put a bit of a spin on the classic to make it every bulkers high protein dream!
Featuring tender, spiced apples and a crunchy granola nut topping, this is sure to become one of your go-to winter desserts.
For the apple filling:
- 8 peels and sliced apples – we used granny smiths
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or essence
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or 1 cinnamon quill
For the crumble:
- 1 scoop (30g) Bulk Nutrients WPI, WPC, Protein Matrix+ or Thermowhey in Salted Caramel or Vanilla
- 2 cups whole oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup almond slivers
- 1 cup almond meal
- Pinch cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil – melted
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees celsius.
- Place apples in a pot with water and spices and stew until cooked through. Remove any pieces of spice like clove and cinnamon once cooked.
- While stewing the apples, make the crumble topping.
- Combine all crumble ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Place on a lined baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden, stirring on occasion.
- Place warm apple mix in a bowl and top with toasted crumble mix.
- This is delicious served with some lightly sweetened yogurt.
- Note: You can swap in other fruits, like berries, pears and stone fruits to suit.