For the buns
- 2 ¾ cups wholemeal spelt flour
- ½ cup organic rye flour
- 1 scoop (30g) Bulk Nutrients WPI, WPC, Protein Matrix+ or Thermowhey in Vanilla
- 10g fresh yeast or 5g dried yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup milk of your choice - warmed
- 2 eggs
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups dried fruits of choice - chopped
- 100g dark eating chocolate bits - melted
For the glaze
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- Extra chocolate for cross
Start this recipe the night before
- Combine milk, honey and yeast and set aside for 5 minutes - it will form a foamy top.
- Combine the flours, yeast, honey, eggs, orange zest, vanilla, sea salt, cinnamon and ginger in the bowl of a food processor.
- Mix with a dough hook at low speed until combined, then increase the speed to medium and mix for a further 8 minutes until smooth. You can use your hands, but this will take longer.
- Add the olive oil slowly a little at a time, until incorporated into the dough.
- Mix the dried fruit gently through the dough.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rest at room temperature for about 1 hour. Note: Add some extra olive oil to the bowl, it will help prevent it from sticking.
- Place the dough in the fridge overnight to rest and develop for a further 12 hours.
The next day
- Turn the oven on for ten minutes and then turn off.
- Divide the dough into 24 equal portions.
- Leave the dough in a warm place for 2 hours - the dough should double in size. Wee place ours in the warmed oven.
- Remove from oven and pre-heat to 180 degrees.
- Place on a tray and bake for 35-40 minutes or until baked and golden.
- To make the glaze, combine egg and milk.
- Once buns have cooled, brush the glaze over them.
- Melt chocolate and pipe onto buns before serving.
Per serve (65g) / Per 100g
Energy (kJ): 1080/1670 | Protein (g): 5.3/8.6 | Fat (g): 11.5/17.8 | Saturated Fat (g): 2.7/4.1 | Carbohydrates (g): 32.6/50.1 | Sugar (g): 16.9/26.1 | Sodium (mg): 18/28