A creamy low-calorie risotto
Who doesn’t enjoy a warming risotto on a chilly night?
We sure do at Bulk HQ, the only problem with traditional risotto is its macros, it’s usually low in protein which we need for muscle growth and development.
So, we added pure rice protein to give this recipe a boost in protein content.
Plus, swap out the chicken stock cube for a vegetable one and it becomes vegan friendly!
- ¾ cup basmati or brown rice
- 3c water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- ½ leek chopped (1c)
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms sliced
- 3c cauliflower florets chopped (500g)
- Coconut oil to cook
- Salt and pepper
- 1can coconut milk (270ml)
- 2 scoop Bulk Nutrients Natural Rice or Pea Protein
- To Serve: Chilli, Thyme Sprigs and Spring Onion to serve
Optional: Add Chicken
Note: You can use liquid stock instead of the water/stock cube combination.
- Heat your soup pot and add your rice and 2 cups water with your stock cube and cook for 20 minutes, stirring to prevent the rice sticking. Add your coconut milk after 20 minutes and cook for another 10.
- Sauté your chopped leek, mushrooms and garlic with coconut oil, thyme and mushrooms. Set aside.
- Sauté your cauliflower florets until some golden colouring with salt and pepper and some coconut oil.
- Add the leek/mushroom mix, cauliflower and additional 1c water to the rice mix and stir well to combine. Cook for another 20 minutes until softened and stir every so often.
- Stir in your Bulk Nutrients organic brown rice protein well and ensure there are no clumps. If consistency is really thick, just add a touch more water or stock.
- Use a hand soup blender to blend your mix if you want to reduce some of the clumpy vegetables, otherwise, it is ready to serve with the addition of some garnish!