Your favourite bikkie with less calories
Yes, you heard right we've come up with a cleaner version of your favourite biscuit, the Wagon Wheel!
Original Wagon Wheels are a mass produced biscuit which sandwiches marshmallow and jam between two cookies covers it in chocolate.
Our version is smothered in chocolate and filled with raspberry chia jam and homemade sugar-free marshmallow. These luscious bikkies are much lower in sugar and carbs than a regular Wagon Wheel and we think they taste better too.
They are dairy, gluten and refined sugar free and can easily be made vegan by simply using a plant based Gelatin.
They're ideal to pack as a treat for a picnic or to pop in the kids lunchboxes every now and then.
Makes: 16 cookies
- 1 cup Bulk Nutrients Fine Powdered Oats or flour of choice
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup coconut oil - melted
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 flax egg or (1 tablespoon flax-seed combined with 3 tablespoons warm water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to thicken)
- Preheat oven to 180°c and line a baking tray.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and stir to form a dough.
- Place dough on baking paper and place another sheet of paper on top. Using a rolling pin, roll until ½cm high and use a cookie cutter to cut the dough into circles.
- Place on a lined baking tray.
- Continue to roll and cut the leftovers. You should get about 16 cookies cut from the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cookies have turned golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
Raspberry Chia Jam
Makes: 8 serves approx (1 Tbsp per serve)
- ⅓ cup raspberries - mashed
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ¼ teaspoon Bulk Nutrients Sweetvia
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- Combine all ingredients and set aside to allow to thicken until ready to use.
Makes: 330g (more than enough for your 8 cookies)
- 160g strawberries
- ¼ cup water or coconut water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 1 teaspoon Bulk Nutrients Sweetvia
- 2 tablespoon gelatin powder (18g) *
- ⅓ cup boiling water
* To make this recipe vegan friendly, simply replace regular gelatin with a plant based gelatin like Queen's Jel-It-In.
Note, we advise you to read these instructions carefully first and have the ingredients ready and organised. These directions require you to work fairly quickly to end up with a light and fluffy marshmallow.
- Combine strawberries, vanilla, rose water, water and Sweetvia over heat on a sauce pan. Lower temperature to a simmer until strawberries are broken down.
- Push strawberries through a sieve so you have about ¾ cup of pulp free juice. Set aside
- Combine boiled water to gelatin and whisk quickly until combined well and gelatin dissolves completely. Working quickly so the gelatin does not set, add hot strawberry mix.
- Use an electric whisk and beat for approximately 5 minutes until gelatin has thickened to resemble lightly whisked egg whites and has lightened in colour significantly.
Marshmallow Nutritional Information
Per serve (20g) / 100g Energy (kj) 27/135 | Protein (g) 1/5 | Fat (g) 0/0 | Sat.f (g) 0/0 | Carb (g) 0.4/1.9 | Sugar (g) 0.4/1.9 | Sodium (mg) 4/20
- Take a cookie and spread out a thick layer of marshmallow. Add 1 tablespoon of chia seed jam to the layer of marshmallow and spread evenly. Finally, top with another cookie like you would a sandwich.
- Set aside and repeat with remaining cookies.
- Proceed with chocolate step below.
Makes: Enough to generously coat 8 cookies
- 200g organic dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 scoops Bulk Nutrients Thermowhey, Protein Matrix+, WPI or WPC in Chocolate
- Melt all ingredients and stir well.
- Carefully dip Wagon Wheels in to coat fully and cool/set on a wire rack. Baking paper under the wire rack will catch the drips and save you cleanup.
Chocolate Coating Nutritional Information
Per serve (25g) / 100g Energy (kj) 565/2260 | Protein (g) 5.2/20.6 | Fat (g) 8/32 | Sat.f (g) 5.6/22.5 | Carb (g) 10.6/42.6 | Sugar (g) 9/35 | Sodium (mg) 17/67
Bulk Nutrients tip for your leftover marshmallow
- Spread out the remaining in a floured baking dish (flour by first greasing your dish and using a mix of coconut flour and corn flour to evenly cover all the surface or line your tin with baking paper).
- All to set at room temperature and slice.
- Roll through coconut or other powdered coating mix and enjoy in your Bulk Nutrients Whey Hot.