Clean Treat Lamingtons
There’s no celebrating Australia day without a lamington, right?
We all love a good lamington here at Bulk HQ, but what we don’t love are all the carbs and sugars that come with the delicious Aussie treat.
This version is higher in protein and contains no refined sugar, yay!
Plus, we can let you know that they’re just as tasty.
For the cake:
- ¼ cup organic butter or coconut oil – melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 30g raw organic honey
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 30g spelt flour
- 45g almond meal
For the icing:
Makes 70g – 3.5serves
- 30g Bulk Nutrients Chocolate WPI/WPC
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil – melted
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 1 teapsoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup shredded coconut
For the chia raspberry jam:
Makes 1 cup (190g)
- 1 ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup frozen raspberries – about 1/2 cup once thawed and stirred
- 1 teaapoon raw organic honey
- 3 tablespoons water
To make the chia raspberry filling:
- Set oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- Thaw the raspberries. It’s okay to do this in the microwave, about 30 seconds should do.
- Combine all ingredients in a cup and stir well.
- Place in the fridge to set for a minimum of 30 minutes. Stir on regular intervals.
To make the cake:
- Line a mini loaf tin and set aside
- Melt butter or coconut oil, with the honey and vanilla.
- Beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth pale and creamy.
- Add butter/oil/honey mix gradually while continuing to beat
- Fold in the almond meal, spelt flour and baking powder.
- Pour mix into prepared loaf tin and place in the oven.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out from the middle clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
To make the icing:
- Melt coconut oil in microwave for approximately 10-20 seconds.
- Combine all ingredients except shredded coconut in a bowl and stir until well combined.
To assemble the lamingtons:
- Trim cake into 3 equal rectangles, discard trimmings. Then slice each in half so you have a top and a bottom piece.
- Take a teaspoon of chia raspberry filling and spread over each bottom slice. Place top piece of cake on top of the jam.
- You are now ready for icing. Spread a tablespoon of icing over and around each lamington cake.
- Place the lamington cake into the shredded coconut and coat (make sure you do this before the icing sets!).
- Cut each in half to make 6 pieces.
- Place on a plate and enjoy!