It's our 12 Days of Christmas celebration!
It's time to get merry and boy do we have some fun treats for you to make!
If you love a traditional Apple Pie, then you'll be stoked with today's exclusive 12 Days of Christmas recipe!
These higher protein Apple Pies are loaded with flavour and feature our Limited Edition Muscle Food 101 in Apple Pie flavour.
But never fear, if you didn't win any and would still like to make these, you can substitute with our Vanilla flavour instead. Happy festive baking!
High Protein Apple Pie Ingredients
For the crust:
- 2 tablespoons Bulk Nutrients Muscle Food 101 in Limited Edition Apple Pie flavour
- 1 cup (120g) white whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (56g) cold butter – Cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons low fat milk
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1-2 teaspoon ice water
For the filling:
- 3 granny smith apples – Diced
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- To make the base: Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease two mini pie tins.
- Place all ingredients except the water in a food processor. Pulse to bring together until it has a bread crumb appearance. If it seems too dry, add half the water and repulse. Repeat if necessary. Wrap in cling wrap and place in the fridge to firm up.
- Remove from the fridge.
- Place dough between two sheets of baking paper and roll to 1cm thickness.
- Cut out dough according to pie tin size (we have used mini tins) and press in.
- Set aside remaining dough.
- Place in the oven with weighted balls or uncooked rice on top for 10 minutes.
- To make the filling: Dice the apples.
- Place in a medium heated pot with cinnamon, coconut sugar, clove and nutmeg and stew until soft. Set aside.
- When cooled spoon apple filling into pie bases.
- Gather remaining dough and re-roll if required.
- Cut out ½-1cm thick strips.
- Use these to create a lattice design on the top of the pies.
- Brush the top with whisked egg or melted butter.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Best enjoyed warm with ice-cream.